Sacramento Police Finish Investigation of Clark Shooting

Stephon Clark and his children.

Stephon Clark and his children.

By MCNS Staff

Seven months after the officer-involved shooting of Stephon Clark, the Sacramento Police Department has completed its criminal investigation of the killing.

Thursday, the department announced it had sent its investigation to Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert and California Attorney General Xavier Becerra.

District Attorney Schubert will review the findings to determine if criminal charges should be filed against either of the officers who fired shots.

The District Attorney’s office confirmed receipt of the “police report and related materials” Thursday afternoon, according to spokeswoman Shelly Orio.

Officers Terrence Mercadal and Jared Robinet shot Stephon Clark at least seven times on the night of March 18 and claimed that they mistook his cellphone for a gun after chasing him into his grandmother’s backyard. However, both officers Mercadal and Robinet returned to work April 9, just over three weeks after the killing. Mercadal and Robinet had to be identified as the involved officers by an Oakland civil rights attorney because the Sacramento Police Department never identified them.
Stevante Clark, Stephon Clark’s brother, posted a statement on Instagram criticizing the police department for not sharing details of the investigation with the family.

“Astonishingly, these details have even been completely concealed from the Clark Family, which does not promote transparency in the slightest,” he wrote.

After body camera footage of the incident was released, it was determined that at least one officer muted his microphone to have a private conversation at the scene. Questions were also raised about the time officers took to render aid to Clark after he was shot.

The police killing sparked massive protests that shut down Interstate 5 and the Golden 1 Center this past March. It has also led to an ongoing protest in front of Schubert’s downtown offices, where activists have held demonstrations and barbeques three times a week since the shooting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *