South African Protestors Trash H&M Because of Racist Advertisement

Protests in front of H&M outlet in Johannesburg.

Protests in front of H&M outlet in Johannesburg.

By Chuma Kisu

According to international reports South African police have cleared protesters who were trashing outlets of Swedish clothing manufacture H&M in Johannesburg.

The protesters were upset over a controversial advertisement of a Black child.

A photo on the company’s online website of a Black boy wearing a green hoodie with the inscription “coolest monkey in the jungle” had triggered outrage on social media and among observers worldwide.

The company has pulled the photograph and hoodie from its website but the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) still organized protests at several H&M outlets in and around Johannesburg. EFF is an organization set up by the expelled head of the youth wing of the ruling African National Congress (ANC). There were also protests outside a store in Cape Town.

According to reports, there is video footage that shows activists trashing displays, kicking over and pulling down clothes rails, and pushing over mannequins.

“Several incidents of protests at H&M stores around the province have been reported,” South African police said in a tweet.

“At the East Rand mall the protesters managed to enter the shop & stole several items. Police had to intervene and dispersed the group of protesters by firing rubber bullets.”

Floyd Shivambu from EFF said: “That H&M nonsense of a clothing store is now facing consequences for its racism. All rational people should agree that the store should not be allowed to continue operating in South Africa.”

In the H&M local website an apology was issued for the advertisement. “Our position is simple, we have got this wrong and we are deeply sorry,” the apology read.

H&M is not the only major company to be hit by an advertisement scandal in recent years. Spanish clothing brand Zara in 2014 removed striped pajamas with a yellow star after facing outrage over its resemblance to clothes worn by Jewish prisoners in concentration camps.

And in October last year, personal care brand Dove apologized after it was accused of racism for airing a commercial showing a black woman turning into a white woman after removing her top.

Black Panther Sets Early Ticket Sales Record

MLD-01496_R.JPGBy Steppin’ Razor

Advance tickets sales of Disney-Marvel’s Black Panther have set a record for top sales in the Marvel Universe in the first 24 hours on sales site Fandango.

Sales opened after a national spot during the telecast of the College Football Playoff National Championship.

The film opens in theatres on February 16.

According to variety.com, Fandango said a survey of more than 8,000 moviegoers showed that “Black Panther” was voted as one of the year’s top two most anticipated movies, ranking second to Disney-Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War,” which includes many of the “Black Panther” characters, and Chadwick Boseman was voted as the most anticipated comic book hero in a standalone movie.

Black Panther stars Boseman as T’Challa, who returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation to succeed to the throne after the death of his father, the King of Wakanda. Based on the comic character, the film also stars Angela Bassett as Ramonda, Forest Whitaker’s Zuri, and Michael B. Jordan’s Erik Killmonger, Lupita N’yongo as Nakia, and Danai Gurira as Okoye.

Greitens Admits Extramarital Affair, Denies Threats

By MCNS Staff

Missouri governor Eric Greitens who ran his recent campaign on family values was caught engaged in an extramarital affair.

Missouri governor Eric Greitens who ran his recent campaign on family values was caught engaged in an extramarital affair.

The conservative “family values” Missouri governor is embroiled in a fresh scandal.

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens confirmed Wednesday with KMOV News 4 that he had an extramarital affair. This admission comes as the result of an investigation by the news outlet.

According to kmov.com, in a recording obtained by the news source, a woman says she had a sexual encounter with Missouri Governor Eric Greitens and that he threatened her to keep the encounter from becoming public. The recording, which features the woman giving intimate details of the incident, was made by the woman’s ex-husband without her knowledge.

Details from the woman’s ex-husband laid claims that his now ex-wife engaged in a sexual relationship with Greitens in March 2015 which eventually destroyed their marriage. Local sources have not named the woman, who has not made any on-the-record statements.

Local sources indicate that according to the ex-husband, the recording was made just days after Greitens’ and the woman’s first sexual episode. The ex-husband also stated that Greitens took a photograph of the woman during the incident to threaten her to silence.

Greitens won his gubernatorial election in August 2016, running as an unsullied maverick with no prior political experience and a family man. In his campaign announcement, he stated: “I’m Eric Greitens, I’m a Navy SEAL, native Missourian and most importantly, a proud husband and father.”

In a joint statement with his wife, Sheena, Greitens admitted to the affair, “A few years ago, before Eric was elected Governor, there was a time when he was unfaithful in our marriage.”

This was a deeply personal mistake. Eric took responsibility, and we dealt with this together honestly and privately,” the statement continues.

Late Wednesday, James Bennett, attorney for the governor, characterized some of the allegations in the accusation were false, including the “blackmail.”

“The governor has now seen the TV report that ran tonight.  The station declined to provide the tape or transcript in advance of running their story, which contained multiple false allegations.  The claim that this nearly three-year old story has generated or should generate law enforcement interest is completely false.  There was no blackmail and that claim is false.  This personal matter has been addressed by the Governor and Mrs. Greitens privately years ago when it happened.  The outrageous claims of improper conduct regarding these almost three-year-ago events are false.”

For recording transcripts, and details in this extramarital affair scandal rocking the Governor’s Mansion, click here.

Sterling Family Subpoenas Evidence for Wrongful Death Lawsuit

Alton Sterling.

Alton Sterling.

By Malcolm Speaks

Attorneys for the family of Alton Sterling filed subpoenas in a Baton Rouge state court this past week in order to force state Attorney General Jeff Landry to turn over videos and other unreleased evidence.

The evidence includes audio recordings, reports, notes and eyewitness statements, according to The Times-Picayune in New Orleans.

Alton Sterling, 37, was confronted by East Baton Rouge Parish police officers Blane Salamoni and Howie Lake II outside a Triple S Food Mart on July 5, 2016. According to police, the officers were responding to a call about a man with a gun.

A wrongful death lawsuit that was filed by Sterling’s family last year states that Mr. Sterling cooperated when approached by Officer Lake and that it was officer Salamoni who displayed aggressive behavior.

The court documents allege that officer Salamoni “pulled out his gun from his holster, pointed his service weapon to Mr. Sterling’s head and yelled aggressively, with intent, ‘Bitch, I will f**king kill you … I am going to shoot you in your mother f**king head.’″

After deploying a stun gun and tackling Mr. Sterling, officer Salamoni shot him six times, according to the court documents. Officer Salamoni claimed that Sterling reached for a gun. However, the store owner, Abdul Muflahi, stated that he witnessed the shooting and did not see Mr. Sterling with a gun, but did see officers remove one from Mr. Sterling’s pocket, according to the Huffington Post. Additionally, a witness caught the shooting on camera.

Two videos which both show the shooting have been released, however authorities have not released recordings from two body cameras, a dashboard camera and a store surveillance camera.

Attorneys for the Sterling family said they need this evidence for the wrongful death lawsuit which names East Baton Rouge Parish, their police department, the police chief and the two officers involved as defendants.

Legal action was taken after the Justice Department announced last May that it would not file charges against officer Salamoni or officer Lake. Additionally, Attorney General Landry’s office still has not announced whether or not it will file state criminal charges while the two officers remain on paid administrative leave. However, these subpoenas allow The Attorney General until Jan. 29 to respond.